Monday, November 17, 2008

Don't Let This Happen to You!


Want to know what happens when people hire amateur painters? Check this out!


This is a picture I took several years ago, before I had my first digital camera. If you look closely, you can see the roof is oversprayed something terrible!

I'm not sure if the homeowner rented a sprayer or they hired someone to paint their home. Obviously no one took the time or effort to even TRY to mask or protecty anything. If I remember correctly, the porch was as yellow as the roof.

There is NO WAY to correct this problem. The paint will not just wear off, nor will it wash off. The roof had to be completely replaced. You have to wonder, who was stuck with the bill for that? I'm going to guess it was the homeowner.

How can you protect yourself from something like this? Simple, hire a well established painter who has been in business for several years, has a track record and most importantly HAS INSURANCE! Not all business insurance is built the same. If your painter uses subcontractors, you may not be covered! Most subcontractors don't have insurance and mostly work on a cash basis. Make sure your painter is using their own employees and you get a copy of their insurance certificate. That certificate is only valid when it comes directly from their agent! No company can give you an official copy any other way.

Make sure your painter masks and protects all surfaces that are not to be painted. Items like clad windows and doors, porches, driveways, and yes, the roof should be covered. Masking tape, plastic sheeting, dropcloths are all used to keep paint from these surfaces.

Do you have a horror story? I'd love to hear about it!

6 comments:

jocosob said...

Do you do interior painting as well?

Bill the Painter said...

Absolutely! I keep my employees busy all year around.

mammabear said...

You have some great information here...I hope to see more posts from you.

Bill the Painter said...

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

I've been doing this for more than 15 years, there WILL be more!

mammabear said...

I've painted for about 12 years myself, and miss it a great deal at times.
So not only is this some great info, but from what I've read so far, you KNOW what you're talking about. I'm happy to read that there are still painters who prefer pride in their work over slamming out a crappy paint job!

Bill the Painter said...

I don't get to paint much anymore! It's my job to make sure my painters stay busy, which isn't so easy these days.

I've learned a lot over the past 20 years (wow, has it really been that long???) I like to think I've got a handle on it, but I still learn new things all the time.

I'll leave the crappy paint jobs to someone else, but I'll be happy to clean up their mess.